Spanish Cauliflower Rice and Chicken
Great spices and flavours in this dish will make you want more! Regular rice is replaced with cauliflower rice which is nice and light and only about 1/10 the calories of brown rice.
- 4-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- Half an onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 350 mls chicken stock
- Fresh cilantro (or you could substitute parsley)
- 5 pieces sundried tomatoes, chopped or punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 10 black olives (optional)
- Step 1 Grate or slice and chop cauliflower or use a food processor to make it into rice. Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Prepare the stock and set aside.
- Step 2 Mix together all spices, then rub into chicken pieces, reserving half for later.
- Step 3 Heat large frying pan and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook chicken on medium heat until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. It will cook more later.
- Step 4 If the cauliflower seems to have too much liquid either pat dry with a paper towel or squeeze out excess water.
- Step 5 Using the same pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook the garlic and onion until translucent. Then add the stock, cauliflower rice and the other half of the spice mix. Stir and then place chicken on top of rice. Cover and cook on stovetop on a medium/low heat until chicken is cooked through – about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and olives in for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Step 6 You can finish in the oven, uncovered if you’d like the chicken to be more roasted.
- Step 7 Serve with chopped cilantro on top.