If you feel your salads aren’t filling enough and you find yourself feeling crazy hungry before dinner, then consider adding in some carbohydrate, like quinoa, brown rice, or roasted root vegetables. Just this little addition will make all the difference and help you get through to dinner time! This salad is really substantial; it provides an extra boost of protein and slow carbohydrate energy because of the added quinoa and eggs as well as a good dose of fats with the avo, the nuts, the bacon and the halloumi. Because of these little “extras”, it will seem really satisfying and filling in comparison to a salad without these added extras. Of course, with these additions comes extra calories, so do be conservative when portioning out. You might be surprised at how satisfying just a small amount is!
- ½ cup quinoa cooked according to instructions with one low-salt veggie soup cube added. This will result in about 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Bag of baby spinach
- 4 rashers bacon, cooked until a bit crispy and chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cucumber, de-seeded and sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ red capsicum and ½ yellow capsicum
- 100 grams halloumi, cut in small pieces and fried until lightly browned, (or use Feta)
- Two 7-minute boiled eggs, cut in half
- Small handful almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Step 1 Prep, cook and chop all ingredients. Boil the eggs, peel and cut in half. Fry the bacon and halloumi separately and set aside and prepare the quinoa.
- Step 2 Put the ½ – ¾ bag of spinach in a large bowl
- Step 3 Add the quinoa, bacon pieces, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, halloumi and capsicum and lightly toss
- Step 4 Have a quick taste to see if the flavour of the bacon, avo, and halloumi provide enough flavour. If not, then add a bit of light balsamic dressing or balsamic vinegar to give it some extra zing!
- Step 5 Top with chopped nuts and serve.
- Step 6 For lunch – serve this salad on it’s own.
- Step 7 For dinner – serve with a simple pan-fried white fish and a slice of lemon.