Lower Carb Spag Bol
Spagbol is a fabulous mid-week meal - it’s easy-breezy to whip up, beloved by the whole family, and a tasty way to get in a whole heap of veggies! This version is also lower-carb, swapping pasta for courgetti aka courgette noodles. These are basically faux noodles, which can be whipped up easily using a spiraliser or veggie peeler. Alternatively, just use normal pasta if this is you or your families preference. It also has the option of making it fully plant-based or vegan, subbing lentils for mince. Thanks to nutritionist Danijela Unkovich for sharing this recipe with us. Check out her website for more fabulous recipes here: https://healthyalways.co.nz/
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 kg prime beef mince (or 2-3x 400g tin of brown lentils for a plant-based option)
- 2 tins of pureed tomatoes
- 1 small pottle/140g tomato paste
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 handfuls of white button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium courgette/person (for courgetti noodles - as a guide)
- Step 1 1. Heat a large fry pan with a drizzle of oil. Stir-fry garlic and onion for around five minutes, or until soft and clear.
- Step 2 2. Add beef mince. Cook until brown all over. If doing a plant-based version, skip this step.
- Step 3 3. Add grated carrot, courgette and mushrooms and cook for a further few minutes.
- Step 4 4. Add tins of tomato, tomato paste, and drained and rinsed lentils if using. Mix together well. Turn up heat until sauce begins to boil, then turn reduce to a simmer. Leave for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken sauce.
- Step 5 5. Prepare courgette noodles using a spiraliser – this is a tool you can use to turn vegetables into faux noodes! If you don’t have a spiraliser, you could try using a veggie peeler, aiming to keep peelings as thin as possible, like ribbons.
- Step 6 6. Place the noodles into a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed gently squeeze any excess moisture out of noodles.
- Step 7 7. Add portions of courgette noodles to a bowl, top with cooked bolognese sauce, season with salt and pepper..
- Step 8 NOTE: you can also serve this with regular pasta if desired, however serving with veggie noodles will keep it a lower-carb meal.