Fish Fajitas with Mango Salsa
September 23, 2018
Great lighter option to beef burritos or tortillas
- Mango Salsa
- • One fresh mango, diced or 1 x 425 gram can of mango in juice ** Save $ Option – 100 grams frozen mango
- • 3 fleshy tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- • ½ red onion, chopped
- • Juice of ½ a lemon ** Save $ option – 1 tbsp lemon juice
- • Handful of chopped coriander – Save $$ option tsp of Gourmet Garden Coriander Paste
- • 150 grams per person fresh white fish ** Save $ Option – 150 gr pp Frozen Natural Fish Fillets
- • 1/3 cup white flour - ** healthier option – 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour / ** Lower calorie option – skip the flour and just use spices
- • Seasoning - Sprinkle fish with chilli powder and cumin, onion powder, oregano, and salt and pepper
- o Optional - Garlic powder, chilli flakes and cayenne pepper
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 2 tbsp butter ** lower calorie, use only 2 tbsp olive oil and skip the butter
- • 12 small taco shells or 8 small whole-wheat soft tortillas
- • 125 grams sour cream ** Lower calorie option – light sour cream or better yet, Greek yoghurt
- • 100gr grated edam cheese
- • ½ cup chopped iceberg lettuce ** Healthier option – 250 grams spinach, kale or mixed lettuce
- • 1 avocado, sliced and stone removed ** Option – 80 grams crumbed feta
- • ½ red sliced onion
- • Small handful chopped coriander **Save $ option - tsp of Gourmet Garden Coriander Paste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°. Boil kettle and thaw fish if frozen
- Step 2 Make salsa first by mixing all salsa ingredients: chopped mango, diced and de-seeded tomatoes, red onion, diced into small pieces. Then add and mix in lemon juice and coriander and set aside.
- Step 3 Cut up iceberg lettuce and thinly slice avocado and red onion.
- Step 4 Pat fish dry with paper towel and cut into roughly equal, long pieces that will fit in the fajita or taco. Lay fish out and sprinkle spices over or combine spices into flour mixture and then coat fish lightly in flour. Heat oil or oil with butter in fry pan on medium heat – the fish should bubble slightly when placed in oil. Cook until fish is cooked through the middle and loses its opaqueness. Should take about 2 minutes per side.
- Step 5 While fish is cooking, heat taco shells in the oven for 5 minutes or if using tortillas, heat in the microwave with cheese sprinkled on for 30 seconds, or heat tortillas in a clean pan for 30 seconds each side and then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Step 6 To Serve – place fish in the middle of taco or tortillas, then top with mango salsa and sour cream or Greek yoghurt and fold up from bottom, then roll into a wrap. Add hot sauce if to your liking. Serve with a cut lime or lemon on the side.