Cheap as Chips Chilli
This recipe is so easy, cheap and tasty I would recommend it for anyone. Great for freezing and the lentils extend the beef mince and make it a really affordable meal, great for big families. If you are wanting to lose weight and lower your carb intake for dinner, just leave out the rice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice or basmati rice
- 1 – 2 beef soup cubes in 3 cups boiling water or 3 cups homemade soup stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1-2 whole red chilli pepper, diced with seeds
- 4-5 large mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp chilli powder or chilli seasoning, (mixture of paprika, chilli, cumin, salt, garlic, cloves, marjoram)
- 1 large celery stick, diced (optional)
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- 1-2 zucchini, grated or diced into quarters
- 1 x 450 gram can of lentils, drained OR / 1 cup uncooked lentils cooked in three cups water
- 1 can of regular, low sugar baked beans
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, (Italian or Pesto flavoured taste great!)
- 300-500 grams of beef mince
- ½ bag or fresh spinach or 5 cubes frozen spinach
- 1 green capsicum
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander
- Greek yoghurt
- Step 1 Rice: Prepare rice according to instruction on packet. Each ½ cup of dry rice will make about 1 cup of cooked rice. Serve from ½ to 1 cup cooked rice depending on person’s size and energy requirements.
- Step 2 Chilli: Cook onion for 3-4 minutes until becoming translucent
- Step 3 Add garlic, mushrooms and red chilli pepper and cook for 2 more minutes
- Step 4 Add in 1.5 tbsp chilli seasoning or chilli powder and stir
- Step 5 Cook mince in a separate pan with salt and pepper added toward the end. Breaking up as it becomes just cooked through. Drain off any fat and put mince aside.
- Step 6 Add celery, carrots and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes
- Step 7 Add cooked mince and stir in
- Step 8 Pour in cans of tomatoes, kidney beans and baked beans, stir and simmer for 15 minutes
- Step 9 Just before serving, add in the spinach and green capsicum and cook for 3 minutes
- Step 10 Serve on top of rice with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh coriander. Freeze unused portions.